Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's not 'Florence', it's Firenze

I skipped over Florence in my blog updates after the fun I had on my first day in Switzerland, so I’ll talk a little about it now.

The weather was pretty poor the whole time; it rained throughout my visit. Luckily, most of the things I had planned were indoors. I went to the Uffizi gallery, the Bargello, and the Accademia; climbed to the top of the Duomo (which was half a block from my hostel); and visited Piazza della Signoria and the Ponte Vecchio. It’s a beautiful city with a lot of character – I’ll have to go back and see more of it. I can tell there was a lot of history I missed this first time around. I would think it comes into its own with better weather, too. Since so much of the typical sightseeing in Florence is centered on galleries and museums, going in the low season means short lines. I went to the Uffizi and the Accademia in the same day (without a reservation at the Uffizi). It seems like all the guidebooks suggest this would be impossible in summer.

I don’t have many photos from Florence since the museums don’t allow photos. It’ll always be easy to look up the art with an image search, though. Here are some from outside the museums:





No comments:

Post a Comment